Jae’Sean Tate leads the Buckeyes with 18 points –
WASHINGTON (AP) Plagued all season by the inability to close out games, 14th-seeded Rutgers overcame a rough shooting performance to beat 11th-seeded Ohio State 66-57 Wednesday night in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament.
Nigel Johnson scored 21 points on 5 of 11 shooting and made all eight free throws to lead the Scarlet Knights (15-17), who have now won back-to-back games after a six-game skid.
Rutgers outrebounded Ohio State 47-31 to overcome its shooting woes.
Rutgers 66 (15-17, 4-15 B1G), Ohio State 57 (17-15, 7-12 B1G)
March 8, 2017
Verizon Center – Washington D.C.
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with Rutgers 4-2.
- Rutgers holds a 2-0 lead in neutral site games.
- Ohio State is 1-1 against Rutgers this season.
BIG TEN TOURNAMENT
- The Buckeyes are 26-13 all-time in Big Ten Tournament games.
- Ohio State is 0-2 all-time as the No. 11 seed in the Big Ten Tournament.
- The Buckeyes hold a 20-3 record when seeded higher than their opponent in the Big Ten Tournament.
- The Buckeyes are 28-20 against Big Ten opponents in neutral site games.
- The Buckeyes are 4-8 this season when they are outrebounded by their opponents.
- Thad Matta is 23-9 in Big Ten Tournament play in his tenure at Ohio State
- Thad Matta is 4-1 vs. Rutgers in his tenure at Ohio State.
- Jae’Sean Tate scored a team-high 20 points while adding six rebounds and three assists for the Buckeyes.
- Tate attempted a career-high 11 free throws in the contest.
- Tate has now scored in double figures in 29 games this season.
- C.J. Jackson scored 12 points, adding six assists and two rebounds in the contest.
- Jackson has now scored in double figures in three of the last four games.
- Trevor Thompson scored eight points and grabbed 11 rebounds in the contest.
- Thompson has accumulated 12 double-digit rebounding efforts on the season.